Randy's Reviews > The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey

The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey by Walter Mosley

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: april12, not-for-school, realistic-fiction
Read from April 12 to 15, 2012

Ptolemy Grey, lost in the maze that is his own memory, finds few moments of clarity. His 91 years have added up and since the death of his wife, he increasingly has difficulty keeping things straight. Until he meets, Robyn, who helps clean his home and gets him to a doctor that offers him a choice. He can take an experimental drug that will clear his mind, but kill him in a few weeks, or he can remain adrift in his mind. Ptolemy chooses clarity, and sets off, in his last few days to set things right after so many years.

I picked this book up because I have read other books by this author and I really enjoyed his words.

I finished this book because I was completely drawn into the life of Ptolemy Grey. This old man living in a dangerous part of L.A., felt like someone I knew. I began to wonder about the choices I would make, or will make as I grow older.

I would recommend this to Spence. He enjoyed the last book by Walter Mosley, that I gave him, and I think he will like this one, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey.

04/12/2012 page 50
18.0% "Walter Mosley is a phenomenal author. His words draw you in and the characters are so real."
04/13/2012 page 150
54.0% "The choice Ptolemy makes is intriguing. Would you choose to live a shorter life if you could live with clarity and full control of your mind, or gradually lose your memory and ability to communicate but live longer? From the perspective of his 91 years, Ptolemy doesn't hesitate to choose."