Eric's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Aug 25, 08

bookshelves: young-adult, horror, romance
Recommended to Eric by: Sonya
Recommended for: romance OR horror fans
Read in August, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

At its core, this book was paranormal romance. However, it starts as a mystery, passed briefly through fantasy, and ends as a horror novel. The transitions are smooth and believable.

I found the characters particularly well done. The teens were believable teenagers - they were neither too mature, too whiny, nor too flighty to be believed. The various characters' motivations and actions were believable and consistent.

I also liked the treatment of the vampires in this book. I am always leery of traditionally bad people/creatures cast in a good light. It frequently robs them of their punch or is vastly overdone. Twilight really does neither. The vampires aren't poor, misunderstood victims. They really are monsters, trying to be less monstrous. The vampires who aren't concerned with hanging on to their humanity are intense, cruel, and inhuman.

The relationship between Bella and Edward raises some interesting questions about the nature of attraction, addiction, and true feeling, but does so without preaching or hitting the reader over the head with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.