Grampy's Reviews > The Journey

The Journey by Dan  O'Brien

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in April, 2012

In compliance with FTC guidelines, I'm required to tell you I received this book as a Goodreads First Reads winner. However, it will be a tough one for me to review. It finally really came together for me in the last chapter, but I recommend reading it just on the basis of the thought-provoking lessons to be considered in that final chapter. The world would be a much better place if all 7+ billion of us were to read it and heed it. Leading up to the final chapter, I felt like I was in over my head. Mr. O'Brien is obviously a very intelligent man; certainly more so than I. Reading The Journey is not unlike reading Pilgrim's Progress or Dante's Inferno. If you've ever tried working your way through either of those, you know what reading The Journey will be like. For all I know, The Journey may one day be categorized in the same rarified atmosphere as those two classics. As I was working my way through the beginning of the book, I had to remind myself that, since the author gave me a free copy, I owed it to him to read and review the book. Otherwise, I may have given up on it, as requiring too much thinking. (I'm retired; I don't HAVE to think anymore, unless I want to.) But as soon as I started the final chapter -- literally, at the first sentence thereof -- I was grateful that I had stuck with it. This book probably deserves 5 stars, but so as not to deceive potential readers I will give it 4 stars. But, please, if you do start reading it, follow through to the end. You owe it to yourself; that final chapter is kind of like dessert, after a heavy meal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journey.

04/21/2012 "'bout 2/3 thru, still don't understand a thing. Very esoteric and intellectual... more so than I am."