Chris's Reviews > The Wee Free Men

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

F 50x66
Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, lis722, sci-fi, ya

Summary: (Amazon.com)
Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie!

My Comments:
This was a charming little book, well written, with fascinating, bizarre characters, an unusual plot and witty dialogue. The wee little men were absolutely captivating, but at times it was hard to understand their Gaelic/Scottish brogue. I have never read Alice in Wonderland, but I have a vague idea in my mind that it must be something like this book. I don't think this book would have a very wide audience because it is so special. I think it would be best for older teens because the writing is very sophisticated. Language and situations are OK.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wee Free Men.