Joanne's Reviews > Between Love and Honor

Between Love and Honor by Alexandra Lapierre

May 14, 12

bookshelves: fiction-historical
Read from April 12 to May 14, 2012

As always, Alexandra Lapierre immediately draws the reader into a distant time and place. "Between Love and Honor" opens with her characteristically irresistible drama, promising to be another exciting read.

Here, Lapierre contrasts two distinct worlds -- the raw atmosphere of battle in the Caucus Mountains and the elegance of St. Petersberg. Her ability to get inside the minds and motives of cultures so removed from her own is truly remarkable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Love and Honor.

Chrissie Where does most of the story take place? Is it Russia or the Caucasus? And in what country of the Caucasus, or is that not specified?

Joanne The story begins and ends in Chechnya, with much of the heart of the book set in St. Petersburg and another locations in Russia. Take a look at these quotes from an interview with Alexandra Lapierre. Any more would potentially spoil the book.

Between Love and Honor

Chrissie Thank you very , very much for answering all my questions. I pick my books very carefully since I have no access to a library.

Joanne You are very welcome, Chrissie. I see you are living in Belgium. If you have a chance to look at the French edition of the book, there are beautiful images that were not reproduced in the Amazon Crossing edition. One last comment about "Between Love and Honor," I not only learned a great deal about the deep and long-lastly conflict between the Russians and Chechnya, but feel that Lapierre truly succeeded in showing the reader the universals in this conflict, how cultures are humanly the same but continue to clash with each other, and, perhaps most importantly, how we carry this conflicts inside ourselves.

Chrissie The focus on the Russian / Chechnya conflict is yet another reason I should read this book.

But since Chechnya is north of the Caucasus, why does the book description focus on the Caucasus? Just wondering....

The philosophical them could be interesting too. You seem to have really liked it.

I am not in to military battles. How much of that is there?

Joanne The book's opens with raw and fierce fighting, but from a human point of view, not a military one. Hope this helps.

Chrissie Oh that sounds perfect. My stupid French internet connection didn't work at all yesterday...... What, will it work every other day?!

Joanne That seems appropriately French!

Chrissie Well, the situation in Belgium is if anything worse. The bad connection here is because it is not permanent.

Actually I adore the way French people are so outspoken. That is another issue.....but me, I am always happy to be in France!

Joanne Me too!

Chrissie I have some pics of France on my profile....and Oscar too.