Mohammed Al-Garawi's Reviews > A Clockwork Orange

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Mar 18, 13

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 03 to July 09, 2012

This is a rather interesting book. It showcases the teenage years of a violent "droog" who basically roams around London and beat down old people and rapes girls with his gang. Events take place then we get to a point where experimental aversion therapy is introduced. I'm not gonna say anything more about the plot. However, the book discusses the philosophy of wrong and right, good and evil, in society in an interesting way.

It's like a mixture of The Catcher In The Rye and Orwell's 1984, but with more violence.

I liked everything about the book, except the language. Burgess uses words from a weird fictional language called Nadsat, in every damn sentence. And it's annoying! Other than that, this is a masterpiece.

I know Burgess is a linguist and he knows his shit, and that many people appreciate his work. I do, too. But the Nadsat part was annoying.

If you're planning to read this book, you should have this: http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appen...

--------

Review Update on 19th of March 2013:
After almost 8 months, the book just sunk in. I changed my mind. It's a favorite.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clockwork Orange.