Jess Candela's Reviews > But My Boyfriend Is

But My Boyfriend Is by K.A. Mitchell

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: m-m, read-in-2012, favorites

I can see what others meant about missing chapters, and there's no way the "last" chapter is anything other than a mis-named epilogue. But I was engrossed enough to find that only slightly jarring at the time. It's one of those things that niggles more in retrospect than it did in the moment.

What bothered me in the moment was that with a couple of "I'm sorrys" at the end, somehow everything is suddenly forgiven and fine. Um, no. You act like an asshole for years, one "I'm sorry" does not wipe the slate clean and make everything hunky dory. I really, really would have liked to see some time after the "I'm sorrys" to see if any actual behavior was changed. I guess the "epilogue" was supposed to show how peachy everything was down the line, but that just wasn't quite enough to satisfy me.

Other than that one niggle at the end, the whole time I was reading the story I was utterly engrossed in it, enough to forgive or overlook any oddities, inconsistencies, typoes, etc. I really didn't notice any, I just loved the story. I thought Dylan's angst was believable, as was Mike's. And up until the "everything's fine now" ending, I thought the progression and deepening of the relationship was realistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read But My Boyfriend Is.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lenore Wow! You liked it that much?

Jess Candela Lenore wrote: "Wow! You liked it that much?"

Yeah, I did. I reread No Souvenirs first, so I don't know if that made any difference or not. I really haven't gotten into the Baltimore books at all, so this felt like "Oh, there's the KA Mitchell I knew and loved!" It's possible that made me so happy I was more inclined to be lenient. ;p

I followed it by rereading Collision Course and loving it again too. But I have no particular desire to reread Diving in Deep even though I still want more. So... take that fwiw. :D

Lenore Collision Course is still my favourite in the series and that's why I enjoyed the parts with Joey and Aaron most.
Mike was too thin on substance, Darryl behaved like an ass and Dylan just ... was. I still enjoyed the story but I expected more.

Jess Candela Collision Course is still my favorite of the series too. :) I didn't find Mike thin on substance. In some ways he reminded me of my ex-husband, who is a good man (despite his "ex" status, lol). I think if I hadn't really liked Mike, the whole thing probably wouldn't have worked nearly as well for me.

And I found Dylan realistic. Or believable. Or something. I dunno, he worked for me.

I agree Darryl was an ass. Aaron, too, though he's always been one so that was less surprising. Still, I thought he was unnecessarily cruel to Dylan in this one. They both were. Their "I'm sorrys" are the unsatisfying ones I was talking about. I'm still pissed at them. :)

A.B. Gayle Interestingly, I enjoyed "No Souvenirs" more as a re-read than I did "Collision Course." Perhaps because the characters weren't so black and white.
I think fear of being gay was at the back of Darryl's reaction and Aaron just isn't good at showing or admitting what he feels inside. Is that a god enough excuse? Not sre. I think also Dylan would have pushed away any overtures because of his lack of self-esteem or being seen as an individual unit.