Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream's Reviews > Thomas & January

Thomas & January by Fisher Amelie

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: 3-stars, 4-stars
Read from June 15 to 17, 2012

Let me start by saying that Thomas & January was a really good young adult novel.

Now, let me follow that up by saying that I was slightly disappointed by this novel. Okay. Please don't start yelling at me yet. Give me a minute and let me finish.

I made the mistake of going into this story expecting to read another story just like Callum & Harper. I enjoyed Callum & Harper so much that I welcomed reading a very similar story. I knew that this novel would focus on a different set of characters, but I expected the story to have the same feel as Callum & Harper. In my opinion, Thomas & January was a lot different from Callum & Harper. That's not a bad thing. Again, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Callum & Harper was an emotional story that touched on a lot of real issues that young adults face, whereas Thomas & January was a lighter, less intense story. Both stories were fabulous. Both stories showcased Ms. Amelie's talent. Both stories were packed with raw honesty and humor. Personally, I just happened to prefer the emotional, gritty story over the fun, lighter story. I guess that after reading Callum & Harper, Thomas and January's issues felt a little superficial. It wasn't that Thomas and January didn't have to struggle because they did. They just didn't have to struggle through as much as Callum and Harper had to struggle through. Thomas and January's "issues" were minuscule in comparison to Callum and Harpers.

I know I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I know it's not exactly fair to judge one book against another, but unfortunately, I can't help it. Both were great stories. Callum & Harper just happened to be the better story :)

I gave Thomas & January by Fisher Amelie 4 STARS (3.5 STARS). Thomas & January is a clean, hilarious romance novel that young adults will enjoy. My advice: Read this book. Just don't go into it expecting Callum & Harper. Thomas & January is its own unique book, and it's definitely worth reading.

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thomas & January.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa cannot WAIT FOR THIS!

Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream I know!! I just had a dance party in my cubicle at work!:)

message 3: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Did you read the excerpt on her blog?? It was so good; I'm so ready for this!

message 4: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa I'm also in my cubicle...consider me dancing with you! haha