Les 's Reviews > The Baseball Codes: Beanballs, Sign Stealing, and Bench-Clearing Brawls: The Unwritten Rules of America's Pastime

The Baseball Codes by Jason Turbow

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: baseball, public-library-books
Read from April 12 to 13, 2012

(Reader response drivel--not much of an actual review)

A well-written explanation of the codes and unwritten rules of major league baseball and their evolution over the history of the game. Bottom line: respect your fellow players, the coaches, the umpires, and the game itself. Show disrespect to anyone of these and you will receive retaliation. I consider myself a peaceful person, but somehow became happily blood thirsty and enjoyed these tales of revenge. Because it is a game, maybe?

I had to hurry up and finish when the mentality started seeping into my life. Best example? Perusing the kid's books and toys at a thrift store, some (scumbag, slimey, jacka$^, mofo, son of a bi%$#)guy started hounding me about my daughter who was coughing all over her hand and then picking up the toys (SHE WAS NOT). He proceeded to tell me that I should instruct her not to do that, that she should know better, and that I should be teaching her this. First, I started to defend myself. Then I realized it was not worth it and ignored him. My blood boiled further. Finally, taking a cue from Mr. Turbow's book I knew that I had to revenge and retaliate--get even not mad--for the disrespect that was shown to my daughter and myself. So, my little head started thinking of how I was going to bean this guy in the head outside of the store with my blazing fastball.

I quickly realized that this was uncivilized, that I did not want to turn this guy into Ray Chapman (killed by a beanball), it was impractical ( I did not have a baseball . . . there probably was one in the back of the store though(damn, did not think of that)), and I do not actually have a blazing fastball. So, I just had to stew about it and curse him under my breath. Of course there is always "Patient Revenge" . . .

Nah, I'm over it. The book was returned to the library before these ideas took me over by osmosis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baseball Codes.