YA Reads Book Reviews's Reviews > Rapunzel

Rapunzel by Jessica  Kaye

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: nichole

Originally featured on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole

As in the old fairy tale, Rapunzel has floor length blond hair that she uses to help her aunt climb up to the tower she has been enslaved in. She has seen no other human being, besides her aunt, since she was a little girl. For her own protection, Granny Aunt has locked Rapunzel in a remote tower, where no human being shall ever come across her.

Eventually, Rapunzel meets a handsome gentleman, Brendan. Seeing as Rapunzel was a child the last time she was around a grown man, she has no idea what to think or feel. Taking a risk, though, Rapunzel allows Brendan to climb her hair into the tower, where they fall almost instantly in love. Soon, though, Granny Aunt discovers the love affair and forbids Rapunzel to ever see the mysterious Brendan again. Torn between her love for Brendan and her loyalty to Granny Aunt, Rapunzel secludes herself into her tower, refusing to speak to Brendan again.

After weeks of no notice of Brendan or Granny Aunt, Rapunzel soon realizes that she needs to either leave her tower or risk starvation. Venturing into the unknown, Rapunzel soon finds herself in the nearest city, discovering there are hundreds of men named Brendan and that Granny Aunt has fallen ill. In this unique version of a fairy tale, Rapunzel finds herself in a battle of self-identity. She must find out who she is, start a new life and search for her one true love. Through many twists and turns, battles and discoveries, Rapunzel’s life is turned upside down, and it is up to her alone to make it right.

When I first received Rapunzel, I was nervous that I was not going to like it. The cover is not flashy and the description made me feel like I was about to read a not so great remake of the fairy tale I had grown up with. So, it sat underneath my large To-Be-Read pile, waiting for me to finally pick it up. When I finally started reading Rapunzel, I began to regret the fact that I ever placed such a judgement upon it. I soon found that it was unique, light, and overall addicting.

From the moment the book starts, it is easy to notice the differences between the original version of Rapunzel and this new remake. As I said before, I was nervous that Jessica Kaye had just remade a choppy version of the original story. However, this version of Rapunzel is her own unique story. In this book, one learns about Rapunzel’s love life, and follows her around the city once she’s broken free. It became a habit of mine to want to sit back and watch her make friends, get a new job, and witness all the life lessons she had to learn so late in life. There was nothing boring or ridiculous about this book. It was simply a good read and well worth it.

My only complaint about this book was how predictable it was. I had already guessed everything that was going to happen long before it occurred. At the same time, though, this book almost called for that sort of set up. Rapunzel is not a story to challenge one’s mind or to leave one wondering. Instead, it is a light, romantic read that one is supposed to enjoy throughout. In the end, it did not matter that I had guessed everything that was going to happen. Jessica Kaye’s writing style was too enjoyable to get upset over such a simple thing.

By the end of the book, I found myself sad that it was over. I found myself wanting to read more about Rapunzel’s life and crazy adventures. Even though this book does not come with a flashy, glossy cover, or a great description, the book completely held on to my attention. I would recommend this book to people of all ages. Before I read this book, my 50 year old aunt had the chance to read it. She, too, did not believe she would like this book. However, she loved it so much that there is a possibility she liked it more than I did. That just goes to show that it is possible for anyone to like this book, and I would highly recommend they do so. I hope Jessica Kaye decides to write more stories following Rapunzel’s adventures, and I would greatly enjoy reading more about her.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rapunzel.