Joanne's Reviews > Flight

F 50x66
Apr 12, 2012

bookshelves: ya
Read in April, 2012

Heavy-duty Alexie Sherman. A young Indian boy (we know him as "Zits") full of pain and rage as a result of continuous neglect and abuse is at a turning point in his life: will he follow the path of violence and despair that has been laid out for him, or will he resist that pull and find a way to make meaning of his life? At the very cusp of this choice, we find him in a bank, ready to draw a pistol and a paint gun and spray anyone close by with bullets and paint. Then the story shifts... and keeps on shifting, with Zits waking up to an entirely different time and place, each with one thing in common: a compelling conflict that calls for a choice between violence and kindness, each contributing to Zits' ultimate choices in his real life. Tough language - would be hard to read aloud because of this, and non-graphic description of sexual abuse. For this reason, would not necessarily recommend for students under 7th grade, but could really resonate with some of our more experienced and hardened 6th graders. A must-read for young men who are trying to figure out where they stand when it comes to being a real tough guy who perpetrates violence on others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flight.