ReadandRated's Reviews > The Drowning Pool

The Drowning Pool by Syd Moore

Apr 15, 2012

I’ve just finished reading The Drowning Pool and want to post the review while it is still fresh in my mind.

I don’t want to give away the story itself in this review, instead I want to focus more on my opinions of the book. This is, essentially, a ghost story. Not my usual genre but a book that I really enjoyed nonetheless. In fact I would say that after reading it I think I’d be more inclined to pick up a ‘ghost story’ in the future.

I was initially drawn to it as it is based in Leigh on Sea in Essex which is quite near to where I used to live so I thought I would enjoy some of the local references and folk-lore; which I did.

I liked the way that relationships were built within the story, they were believable and engaging – I found myself caring about the central characters.

I liked the way that the suspense was built too. There was one morning in particular when I was reading this book that I scared myself witless thinking I could hear noises downstairs! Yes I said morning, it was broad daylight!

Spooky and engaging – gets a thumbs up from me.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drowning Pool.

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Oooh, that sounds interesting - not my usual genre, either, but a change is as good as a rest, as they say, so I'll look out for it. Thanks.

Dale was disappointed with the hollywoodesque ending

ReadandRated Dale wrote: "was disappointed with the hollywoodesque ending"

That's a fair point Dale; I have to say the ending suddenly read like it was intended to be viewed rather than read. I still enjoyed the book though.

I generally find the endings of books disappointing so I almost overlook it now!

Dale Well i agree there i enjoyed the book right through,i'm a man and i thought it was scary!,i think it would make a good film actually. My aunt recommended it to me,i got chills when i read it. I have always been scared of witches but in this book it mixed paranormal and mystery well together.