Emily Dietle's Reviews > Sex & God: How Religion Distorts Sexuality

Sex & God by Darrel Ray

Apr 12, 2012

read count: 1

The news has been at capacity lately with attacks on issues of sexual freedom, and this book by psychologist Dr. Darrel Ray could not be more important to us all.

Sex & God: How Religion Distorts Sexuality. The bold title and cover image of this book will supply you with endless entertainment from the odd glances you will receive; I made several people uncomfortable at Hobby Airport last month.

Straight from the first page, this book flows naturally and Dr. Ray’s words come through as the voice of a good friend, explaining what your parents should have when they sat you down for the “big talk.” This book systematically reveals the dangers of religious sexual programming, and guides you towards releasing these sexual shackles and live an ethical sex life, free from religious sanctions.

The chapters meander through the ills of religious influence on human sex and sexuality: from limiting our pleasure and shaming and controlling us, to creating unhealthy relationships with ourselves and others. One point this book reinforces is that even if you are a secular person, religion is influential in your sex life.

At first, I was concerned that Sex & God would only be approached by secular people interested in the subject matter, but it seems palatable by a much wider audience and suitable for the secular and religious at a variety of life stages. One feature of Darrel’s writing that I found quite useful was the inclusion of easy to process analogies, such as the following:

Darrel’s extensive research on Sex and Secularism, referenced in this book, clearly shows that religion’s stranglehold on sex diminishes the quality of our lives. If there was one message I took from Sex & God, it’s this: It’s due time to break free from religion’s grasp and embrace a healthy attitude towards sex and sexuality. The control that religions have had our collective sex lives has lasted far too long and life is short.

Sex & God will help you begin a journey towards a satisfying secular sex life and help those around you develop one, too.

Read FULL REVIEW & INTERVIEW here: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendly...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex & God.