Tatiana's Reviews > The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

Sep 29, 12

bookshelves: lost-interest

Not sure I am really into this synopsis, but I guess I still HAVE to check this book out.

9/29 Well, after reading early reviews of this I am pretty certain I won't be reading it.
37 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Casual Vacancy.

B0nnie it already has a 5 star rating...so I guess it's going to be a hit no matter what the writing is like

message 2: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana Oh yes, I already see 5-starred one saying "I will love it no matter what." Very optimistic people.

message 3: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan It's out Sept. 27th!!! Can't wait!

message 4: by Crowinator (new) - added it

Crowinator That's exactly how I feel.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I feel the same way.

B0nnie I'd like to see the reactions of readers who didn't know it was written by Rowling

message 7: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana Yes, it would be interesting to see if this book stands on its own, without HP fandom affecting people. It's like with The Host. I am positive, if Meyer's name wasn't attached to it, it would have never become any kind of bestseller.

message 8: by janine (new) - added it

janine I actually really like the synopsis. I am a huge fan of small town British drama. I don't think many would read it if it wasn't Jo, though.

message 9: by Peachy (new) - added it

Peachy same here! haha. i'm not really excited with the plot but like you i NEED to get this. she is J.K. Rowling. just reserved! :))

message 10: by Adriane (new) - added it

Adriane I'm going to read it not because of HP but because they synopsis actually sounds very King-like and I love his books.

message 11: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Sounds like it is going to be a Cranford style kind of book. I am not preordering until I hear what others have to say first. When a favorite author writes a book outside of his/her genre, I am immediately wary.

message 12: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana I am borrowing from the library. Not paying for things I am just curious about.

message 13: by Sophiejo (new)

Sophiejo sounds dull but its ROWLING

Blues For Eden It's actually very funny.
People expecting to find the charm of Harry Potter should *not* read this. (One of the protagonists is a prostitute.)
Overall, it's a great first attempt outside her genre. :)

message 15: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Talbert I'm actually loving it!

message 16: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa I think I'm in the same boat. I'm going to take my hold off the library. It doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy.

message 17: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana I feel like I've read enough downer books like that already and I am not in a mood for one right now.

message 18: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa Yep. And the only reason I'm even interested in it is because it's Rowling. This book wouldn't have made it otherwise.

message 19: by Tatiana (new) - added it

Tatiana I know. I wouldn't pay it any attention unless it won some awards. It's definitely not the genre I follow.

message 20: by Lāel (new) - added it

Lāel I feel the same way, Tatiana.

message 21: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina I'm currently reading a few pages. So far, not so good. But I can't be too quick too judge. I feel like some serious drama is about to stir.

Nafiza I quite liked this.

Anushka I think you should read it. The writing and description is amazing .

message 24: by Drew (new) - rated it 1 star

Drew Graham I wouldn't bother. The writing is so-so and the content is shockingly smutty.