Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)'s Reviews > The Eternity Cure

The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

Note: Originally read: March 7 - 14, 2013
Listened to the audio book: February 15, 2014 - March 2, 2014 and again from March 3-21, 2014.

My review can also be found on Reading Lark: http://readinglark.blogspot.ca/2013/0...

Reviewing a book I absolutely adore is sometimes one of the hardest ones I ever have to write, and once again, I find myself at a loss for words to adequately describe how I feel upon turning the last page of another Julie Kagawa book. The Eternity Cure, Julie's second installment in her Blood of Eden series, literally left me STUNNED.

Ummm...er...ok...GAH!

I'm obviously really struggling here. What can I say about this amazing sequel to The Immortal Rules without spoiling the story and still do it any justice?? Maybe it's that absolutely brutal cliffhanger that is messing with my brain?! Julie...I thought you loved us?!! We've seriously got to wait a WHOLE YEAR to find out what happens?! I honestly don't think I can survive it.

But don't get me wrong. DO NOT wait an entire year just to avoid the despair and agonizingly long wait till the third installment is released because you will surely kick yourself if you do. Julie continues to write EPIC stories that are like movies playing out in my head. You NEED to read this now...not a year from now. Suck it up...you won't be disappointed!

Where to start? Well...we pick up a few months after Allison left Zeke and his people safely in Eden, where she hit the road to find her sire, Kanin, after realizing her dreams were actually visions she experienced, through her blood tie to Kanin, of his capture and torture at the hands of the maniacal Sarren. However, blood calls to blood so the trail presents a fork in the road, which eventually leads her to an unexpected destination and an even more unlikely ally. Along the way, a new threat is soon realized -- another mutation of the Red Lung virus -- and time is even more of the essence.

As much as Allie and some of the other characters say they do not believe in it...FATE has a huge part in this story as it is responsible for intercepting Allison at every turn. Allie continues to grow into her new vampire skin. She constantly has to fight her literal inner demon...the Monster that wants her to succumb to the Hunger -- the bloodlust -- in the worst way. It is ALWAYS there, lying in wait to take over, and cut that tenuous tie to her humanity that she struggles to hold onto. Some may not appreciate the repetitiveness of this always present inner-struggle but for me it further illustrates Allie's incredible resolve. I truly believe her life as a Fringer -- her life before she became a vampire -- taught her determination and strength. She is slightly more confident in this chapter of the story, and a much stronger fighter when she finds herself in precarious situations...which is often. She and her katana have become one. There is absolutely NO WAY I could NOT get behind this protagonist and want the best for her. She continues to be one of my favourites!

The aforementioned unlikely ally Allison meets up with and continues with on her dangerous journey to save Kanin was a total surprise! HOW exactly did I end up liking him so much?! To say anything else will totally ruin the surprise...but consider that another reason NOT to delay reading this installment.

Another reason why you do not want to wait till book three comes out is Zeke. Fate brings them back together in this story. If you are like me and just really liked Ezekiel Crosse in the last story, you will absolutely LOVE him in this one...for Zeke has grown too. His time in Eden has strengthened his own resolve and he knows what he wants. He had me swooning all over the place once his path crossed with Allie's yet again. You do not want to wait another year before you get more of Zeke, do you?!

And yet another reason you do not want to hold off on reading this installment, is Kanin. All you Kanin fans will not be disappointed! But be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster!

I also don't think you will find a more cruel and terrifying villain than Sarren. We only got a taste of his psychopathic tendencies in the first book, but you will get to experience, literally, the worst of the worst of him in this portion of the story. He is 'bat-shit-crazy' and utterly maniacal...and expertly written.

There are some absolutely sobering, terrifying, violent and horrific parts to this story as well. This is the life of a 'real' vampire...they are not sugar-coated in the Blood of Eden books. These vampires do not sparkle (not that there's anything wrong with sparkly vampires...I for one happen to love them too!) Having said that, there are also some incredibly tender, romantic and bittersweet moments that temper the bleak and dire situations these characters find themselves in. Once again, it is another brilliantly executed story!

All my bookish friends know what a HUGE Julie Kagawa fan I am...I love her Iron Fey books beyond what is considered normal and I love her grittier and darker side in the Blood of Eden series as much! Without fail, Julie always manages to pull me into her stories...even the dark and creepy ones. Without fail, I'm always on the edge of my seat. Without fail, there is always an extraordinary adventure involved. Without fail, I'm always swooning over the boys in her stories. Without fail, she knocks it out of the park with her heroines. Without fail, Julie manages to rip my heart out at some point in her story and leave me in an utter mess. Without fail, I love another of Julie Kagawa's books. It is no wonder she is my favourite YA author!

I'd like to thank Harlequin Teen for providing the opportunity to read this book in advance.

Note: March 2, 2014 - The audio book was well done. I really liked the narrator...especially her voice for Allie. She captured her very well...especially through those gut-wrenching scenes. However, I generally find females doing male voices comical and vice-versa, and in that light, I especially didn't care for the narrator's interpretation of Sarren. She made him sound too cartoonish rather than maniacally unbalanced and frighteningly creepy. Sarren wasn't nearly as scary to me in the audio compared to the voice I heard in my head when reading it. But overall, quite well done. Now bring on The Forever Song please! I'm soooo ready...especially after experiencing that rip-your-heart-out ending...again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eternity Cure.

03/07/2013 page 15
3.0% "FINALLY! I've been SOOOO looking forward to this!"
03/08/2013 page 60
13.0% "I'm in my happy place reading a Julie Kagawa novel! :)"
02/16/2014 marked as: currently-reading
03/02/2014 marked as: read
03/21/2014 marked as: currently-reading
03/21/2014 marked as: read
03/30/2014 marked as: currently-reading
03/30/2014 marked as: read

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Great review and I wanted to read your review just to get an idea of what happened. As you know I did not care for the first book at all and still have no interest in reading them - but still enjoyed the review. I also consider Julie's Iron Fey series as one of my very favorite YA series (in the top four with nothing else close)- just not into this one. Again - wonderful review of a book I know you loved.

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Thanks Terry! I know you're a huge Julie fan too...but just not this series. You're responsible for tuning me in to Julie's Iron Fey a long, long time ago...and I'll forever be indebted! xo

Muffin ahhh....and I still have to wait a whole month before I can read it and after your absolutely amazing review the wait doesn't get easier...

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Muffin wrote: "ahhh....and I still have to wait a whole month before I can read it and after your absolutely amazing review the wait doesn't get easier..."

Thanks Muffin! I bet the month goes fast and you'll have it in your hands in no time! Sometimes, I find Harlequin's books come out a bit earlier than the official publish date...keep an eye out! Let me know what you think, too, once you've read it!

message 5: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather This series is on my TRL... but I never seem to make it to them!! *sigh*

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) I hope you read it soon, Heather! It's a really dark story compared to, you know, the sparkly ones! ;)

~Tina~ Brilliant review hun! That ending as me so nervous though for the next book! EKKKK!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Awe...thank you!! xo That ending nearly did me in, too! I was WILLING more pages to follow! I know Julie won't let us down though...at least, I hope not!!! lol!