Elizabeth Scott's Reviews > The American Heiress

The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

Apr 12, 12

I love this time period, and I haven't read many books about the way wealthy American girls found themselves over in England (and the rest of Europe) trying to land a titled husband, so this was a treat.

I really loved Cora. She was so immature when the book began, and I loved how Daisy Goodwin traced her evolution from a piece of fluff to a woman who realizes that the world won't bend to her whims, that you can't trust everyone, but that she can find happiness.

And Bertha! Oh, how I loved her. I don't want to give any spoilers, but I have to admit, I LOVED her story.

All the characters are interesting, actually, although I wish Cora's mother wasn't so one-dimensionally obsessed with Cora's status. But then, of course, if she hadn't been, the story never could have happened.

Definitely a must-read for fans of late 19th century American/English historicals--it's nicely paced, well-written, and bonus! Gorgeous cover. (Yes, I AM that shallow)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Heiress.