Denise's Reviews > City of Dreams: A Novel of Nieuw Amsterdam and Early Manhattan

City of Dreams by Beverly Swerling

Apr 23, 12

Read from April 12 to 22, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars - Great story of family secrets, retribution and survival

Loved this one -- the first in a series about colonial times in the early days of the USA. It features a family who are interested in furthering the science and art of medicine -- barbers, surgeons, physicians, and apothecaries. Wow, were those some really barbaric times! The characters were compelling and multi-layered and the saga details the interactions and fueds between families.I have read a bit of historical fiction that centers on this time period (circa 1600s), but never one that is set in "Nieuw Amsterdam" and early Manhattan. The settling and business of New York was quite interesting. Can't wait to get started on the next one!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Dreams.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody  Julian Wow, a fiver! I must check this out!

Denise Love historical fiction -- Beth recommended it to me.

message 3: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Well, if Beth recommended it to you and you loved it, then I MUST read. You've never steered me wrong.

message 4: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda THE HESSIAN by Howard Fast is a neat little book. The time and area are similar to a CITY OF DREAMS. Initially, I thought the authors were the same so I chased down THE HESSIAN to get the particulars.

Denise It is quite detailed about some of the gory aspects of surgery of the day and the treatment of slaves. I am not sure if it is your cup of tea or not!

message 6: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda I will read it. Nice to hear from you.

Denise I can't wait to hear what you think of it! How have you been?

message 8: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Okay. Swimming six days a week does something good for my mood. How about you? Are you focussing on your daughter's graduation day? That is a big step. I imagine you are really proud of her.
After I read the book, I will write a review. I cannot remember the title but I a book about how Wall Street got its name. The Dutch built mansions on the Hudson which were kept neat and clean. I would never have been welcomed into that group.
Would you?

Denise Depends on who was responsible for cleaning it! Wouldn't have been me!!!

message 10: by Linda (new) - added it