Michelle's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Aug 18, 09

Read in August, 2009

I really want to give this 4.5 stars. Sometimes (a lot of times, really) I just want something in-between the full stars, you know?

Before picking up this book, I had no idea that there were islands in the English Channel. Guernsey is one of the Channel Islands, and was occupied by Germany during WWII.

Juliet is a plucky writer living in London after the war who serendipitously begins a correspondence with several Guernsey residents. She is so taken with them that she decides to go to Guernsey and meet them in person. And then she stays there, taking up residence herself.

I loved all of the characters (well, except Mark). The epistolary style worked really well here. I didn't want it to end!

Jill has my copy so I don't have access to my quotes, but one that stayed with me is something to the effect that reading good books ruins one for reading bad books. Amen.
Likeflag

Quotes Michelle Liked

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. How delightful if that were true.”
Mary Ann Shaffer, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society