Kate's Reviews > Mile 81

Mile 81 by Stephen King

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012, age-adult, horror, audiobooks
Read from April 12 to 16, 2012

I expected Mile 81 to be a horror story about an abandoned rest stop, but it was actually about a car that eats people at the abandoned rest stop. The story kept interest even as each new character introduced was killed, except for the young boy who had broken into the building to explore before the mystery car appeared. The narrator wasn't bad but I wasn't a huge fan when he did the voices of the young children whose parents get eaten by the car... something about a man talking like a 3-year-old just sounded weird to me.

The narrator changed for the bonus story, "The Dune." This was a very short tale about an old man who discovered a sandy dune on a small island when he was a boy, and of course the dune has some strange powers... The twist at the end was great. I liked the narrator even when he was doing his old man voice, it sounded very authentic.

Stephen King seems to have an obsession with cars that have a life of their own: "Trucks" and Christine and From a Buick 8. I felt like this story was different enough to be a fun read without sounding like anything he's already written.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mile 81.