Jackie's Reviews > The Brooklyn Follies

The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: fun-and-fancy-full
Read from April 12 to 15, 2012

I'm going to have a very hard time describing this book, as it was repeatedly not what I expected and doesn't fall easily into any general categories.

The Brooklyn Follies has a touch of everything--a crotchety old narrator, an eccentric gay old books dealer, a dispirited intellectual, a precocious girl, a religious manipulator, a free-spirited woman, and the Beautiful Perfect Mother.

Saying that doesn't do this book justice at all. The plot is playful and full of enough surprises to keep you turning the pages, but the true magic of this book is Auster's ability to explain the little details of our life that aren't so mundane--the tiny things we notice and feel that have dramatic impacts on how we interact with the world. He doesn't make them the cornerstones of this book, but glosses past them the way that they are quickly noticed and then forgotten in actual life.

I really cannot explain to you why I enjoyed this book so much, except to say that it was extremely well-written with a good dose of humor, the likes of which are enhanced by the narrator's advanced age, I fell in love with all of the characters (except for the villains, whom you're never supposed to love anyway), and it stuffs in enough playfulness, joy, and musings on humanity to satisfy my brain cravings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brooklyn Follies.