FicusFan's Reviews > A Share in Death

A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie

Sep 04, 08

bookshelves: book-groups, english, modern-day, mystery, read-2008, read-9-08
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This is the first book of the series and the first book of Crombie's that I have read. This series was the choice of my RL Mystery Book Group, or I would never have picked it up.

Overall it got better as it went along. Once the first murder happened the story took off. Prior to that it was very shallow, with standard little shots of set-up. Lets lay out character, place, and victims and try to guess who is going to be murdered, and who is the killer. There was no actual story with any depth, independent of waiting for murder and mayhem. The idea that these characters were actual people with any life off the page was non-existent.

Many of the characters were shallow and forgettable. In fact it was one of those books that you can't keep them all straight, who is who, which are related, and what their claim to fame was. You also didn't really care about the loss of the murder victims from the story. Just not anyone for the reader to develop any emotional connections. The memorable characters were more likely to be cliches than to have any depth.

The detecting was good, as was the interaction of Kincaid with the local police, and the remaining guests at the time share. Keeping James at a distance basically doing scut work was a disappointment. The whole idea of the series is that they are a team that works together.

The mystery was very low key and not something I saw coming. The clues were there, but very subtle.

I have one more of her books, that was recommended as the best of the series (Dreaming the Bones). I will read it, but after that I am probably done with Crombie. Just too many other really good books to read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Share in Death.