Tasha's Reviews > Perfect Match

Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult

May 13, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, read-in-2012
Read from April 12 to May 13, 2012

When I first discovered Jodi Picoult a few years ago, I was infatuated. I boasted to anyone that would listen about my love for her writing. However, after reading several of her books, I have lost interest. She will always be a fabulous writer, but the story lines are far too similar in each book. I just want her to write something totally different for once.

The characters in this book were part of the reason I disliked it so much. Nina, the main character, is hard to like. I found her to be selfish (although she claimed to only care about her son) and just annoying. She also has a strange and entirely unbelievable relationship with a man named Patrick (despite the fact that she is married). Patrick is hopelessly in love with Nina, but she is "oblivious." I found their friendship to be nauseating.

Part of the story was told in (five year old) Nathaniel's POV which was not done well either. I can't think of a single five year old who thinks in metaphors and speaks in poetic language.

I contemplated leaving Perfect Match unfinished halfway through, but reluctantly finished it instead. I think I will take a *long* break from Picoult books and hope that the magic will return to them soon.h

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Match.