Kristine's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, dystopia
Read from April 08 to 12, 2012, read count: 2

I liked it much better reading it the second time. It seemed to have more meaning to me with the recent Arab Spring and Syrian uprising.

The thing that I noticed in this reading is that Katniss is never really hero-worthy. I guess I don't mean it that way, because I love her, I do. I mean, she's awesome and kick-a**, but she is so selfish and flawed. The moment with Gale she realizes to run is to save herself and let others perish, to go along with the game is cowardly but understandable, but the only way justice will be done is to fight/rebel. I think over the last two books Collins has desperately tried to show us her flaws, her selfishness (motives-only saves Peeta in #1 because she couldn't live with herself otherwise. I think this is actually foreshadowing what will happen in the next book. Sometimes there isn't a hero.)

I think it showed some growth that she allowed her family to take care of her - before she wouldn't let her mom touch or nurture her, but no one is the perfect protector and provider all the time. I thought it showed a good example of the human condition being in need and accepting it, even when you have never needed it.

I think Collins' true hero is Peeta. An emotionally comlete, selfless, caring individual. This is the first time I noticed the scrambled gender-roles. The cake-decorating heart-throb, katniss has been the de-facto mother and father of her family, etc. It's cool.

There is so much good stuff to dissect in these books I could read them over and over.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.