Jess Schira's Reviews > Vengeance

Vengeance by Michelle Madow

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012-challenge
Read in April, 2012

This book wasn't bad. The problem is that it just doesn't go anywhere. It's a placeholder between the two other books in the series, and those kind of stories irritate me. It's very short (it's marketed that way, no one's trying to trick you into thinking that you're paying for a full length novel. I don't know if the author meant to write Vengeance as a way to stay fresh in her readers minds, or if she had an idea and was unable to develop into a full length novel. I strongly suspect that when the next book in the series comes out, that I'm going to find that Vengeance should have formed a prologue.

Another thing I really dislike about this book is that if you haven't read Remembrance, you're not going to be able to get in

Pros!

Not a single reference to Pride and Prejudiced. Don't get me wrong. I like P&P and I understood what Madow was trying to do in Remembrance, but she went overboard with the references. The writing felt a bit more fluid to me. There weren't points were I felt that the author was nudging the characters and plot along like chess pieces. Lots of foreshadowing.

Cons

The character of Chelsea was flat, and simply felt like she was going through the motions of a breakup. The author needed to go through with one more rewrite and make Chelsea more emotional, which would have created a stronger connection between story and reader. Author really needs to learn how to write descriptions more naturally and should only describe clothing that's specifically impacts the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vengeance.