Anna's Reviews > The Taker

The Taker by Alma Katsu

Apr 12, 12

Read in April, 2012

When I started reading this, I realized that this is the most un-Maine-like book, despite the fact that perhaps the first 1/3rd of is set there, and it's a dominant part of the plot- the puritanical early 1800s pioneer Maine. I'm basing this on books like The Tinker, or the older series, The Beans of Maine. Perhaps unfair comparisons, anyway. It's also a bit annoying having a first person narrator in that time period with modern sensibilities, psychology, etc. Something that Cold Mountain did really well.

Well, then, you get into the vampire-ish (luckily no vampires, just immortals) ahistorical living in Boston, and it's a bit more interesting, in a fantasy/sex way. The sex is alluded to, not detailed, which is OK, but a bit discursive. Then, the last third goes back to being not such an interesting book, as it's just so hard to identify with 200 year old people who have First World White People Problems. But heck, I did finish it, and it's not that bad really. I feel like the author has some great potential, her style isn't bad, and her characters become somewhat interesting near the end. In a way, the framing, and the purpose or plot of the book need to change. She needs to dig down and find something new to say, I guess. Oh well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taker.