Wendle's Reviews > The Haunting of Hill House

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Sep 06, 14

bookshelves: favorites, horror, classic
Read from December 13 to 31, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 2

The real terror comes, not from spooky things that happen, but from the characters; their thoughts and actions and feelings around and about the things that happen. This book is not (necessarily) a straight up ghost story. There are levels to the reading of the book. You can take and leave haunting aspects as you like; everything could have an explanation, if you looked hard enough for one. I prefer a middle of the road interpretation, choosing to believe there is something nefariously otherworldly about Hill House, but that the characters’ psychology (and psychosis?) also have a significant part to play.

Eleanor is the main character, and she’s a very interesting one. I don’t want to say too much because, out of everyone, it is her character that (for me, at least) sheds doubt on the extent of the haunting of Hill House. She’s an innocent, troubled and entirely contradictory woman who i find infinity fascinating.

A longer review can be read at my book blog: Marvel At Words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunting of Hill House.

Quotes Wendle Liked

Shirley Jackson
“No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream.”
Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Shirley Jackson
“Fear," the doctor said, "is the relinquishment of logic, the willing relinquishing of reasonable patterns. We yield to it or we fight it, but we cannot meet it halfway.”
Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House