Wendy's Reviews > Our Kind of Traitor

Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré

Apr 11, 2012

liked it
Read from April 11 to 19, 2012

I read this book for my book club group. It's not a genre I normally read and I was curious how spy novels were being written in the post-Cold War era.
Surprisingly, I really enjoyed the book and the characters in it. An English couple, Perry and Gail, take a holiday in Antiqua and find themselves wrapped up in international intrique and danger. As the story unfolds, we are introduced to Dima and his Russian family (and a cast of pseudo-family members). Later, Perry and Gail meet with members of the "Service" and tell their story. What follows is an entertaining caper through Paris and Switzerland, as well as a deepening of the relationships between the characters. The stress of the situation begins to wear on the participants as all of them anticipate how it will end. For me, the ending was somewhat unexpected, although I did consider that it might end this way. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a light and quick read. It is well written and entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Kind of Traitor.