Riya's Reviews > Girl Meets Boy: Because There Are Two Sides to Every Story

Girl Meets Boy by Kelly Milner Halls

8251941
Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: romance, not-for-younger-readers, dissapointing, anthology, love, stories-of-my-life
Read in April, 2012

Originally posted at The Teen Book Guru

Girl Meets Boy: Because There Are Two Sides To Every Story is one heck of an emotional roller coaster. It is so unique and different, and I have to say I am really surprised that it hasn’t been done before. Featuring short stories from James Howe, Ellen Wittlinger, Chris Crutcher, Kelly Milner Halls (who's also editor), Terry Davis, Rebecca Fjelland Davis, Rita Williams-Garcia, Terry Trueman, Joseph Bruchac, Cynthia Leitich Smith, Sara Ryan, Randy Powell.

Love or Something Like It/Some Things Never Change is about a sweet-natured jock who falls in love with a dangerous girl who lives on the edge. I have to say, I really, really liked the guy in this story because there aren’t really any characters out there that are like him. He’s very much a jock...but he isn’t a jerk *gasp!*, something which I didn’t think possible. On the outside he may be good-looking and popular, but on the inside he is sweet, caring, and has a big heart...the very opposite of a cliche jock. The girl’s view of the story is admittedly more interesting, but I didn’t like her character as she seemed to be a player from the very start.

Falling Down To See The Moon/Mooning Over Broken Stars is about a Basketball and a geeky and artistic boy who both secretly have a thing for each other. Sweet. That’s the first word that came to mind after reading this story. This was so innocent and cute, and I really loved it. It reminded me of young love...like in Middle School, when two people secretly like each other, but are too scared to admit it, or something along those lines....you get my drift. I enjoyed hearing both the boy’s side of the story and the girl’s. I think that I liked the girl in this story a teensy bit more because she was so....womanly, and the thing I really liked about her was that she was a powerful woman, and there aren’t that many of those in the world today. Two words to describe her: plus-sized and proud!

Want to Meet/Meeting For Real is a story about a girl, Alex, who is trying to find a match for her older brother, who’s gay. Alex finds someone on an online chat site. Enter Max, the guy who has been chatting with Alex online, not knowing that she’s a girl. I found the girl’s side of the story more interesting and definitely more emotional, as it had a stronger foundation and a better story line. Want to Meet/Meeting For Real touches on some very controversial and delicate topics, such as homosexuality and domestic violence, without going into too much depth and detail.

In No Clue, aka Sean/ Sean+Raffina, a relationship consisting of a shy white boy and a beautiful black girl is explored. It was very interesting to see how two completely different backgrounds could come together and work so well, and both of the characters were lovable in their own ways. Sean, the shy white boy, is trying to pluck up the courage to ask out Raffina. But he is having some trouble getting past their racial differences. Raffina, the gorgeous, tough black girl known Sean has a thing for her and is waiting for him to just ask her out. In both stories there is a lot of inner dialogue and inner-conflict which I thought worked really well in this story.

Mouths of the Ganges/Mars at Night is another story about overcoming racial differences. It’s about a Bangladeshi boy who has lived in Iowa his whole life, and his relationship with a white farm girl who loves him back very much. I found Rafi’s version (the guy’s version) of the story a little confusing and hard to understand in some places. It also strayed a little from the story line (girl meets boy), but I liked the basis of the story, and the idea where it came from.

Launchpad to Neptune was probably the most surprising story in this anthology. It follows a girl and a boy who were childhood friends and their reunion. It was a little confusing at first but became easy to follow as the story went on. I enjoyed the building of the tension as the novel went on, both of them nervous and anxious to meet the other one. Both of the characters were extremely likable, in my opinion. I also enjoyed the change in perspectives when a change occurred. Launchpad to Neptune was a very original and captivating story, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Girl Meets Boy is really an anthology for everybody, no matter who you are, because everyone can relate to at least one story in the novel. Whether your heart has been broken, or you’re in love, or you thinking of a change, Girl Meets Boy has covered every aspect of love. It has shown the beautiful, the ugly, and the miraculous. The concept used for this anthology; the he-said-she-said idea is used magnificently to zoom in on both sides of the story. Girl Meets Boy is a very unique anthology, and I am surprised it hasn’t been done before, because, especially when it comes to love, there are always two sides to every story.

4 Muffins- Simply Delectable!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Meets Boy.