Elle's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: 50-books-2012-challenge, young-adult, favorites, own-hard-copy
Read in April, 2012

I rarely write reviews. I rarely give 5 stars. This book deserves both.

To be honest, I read this book for all of the wrong reasons. Let me explain: I read Shiver, by Stiefvater, because I read the reviews about how beautiful her writing was and how poetic the book was. However, I thought Shiver was borderline ok and definitely failed to live up to any of the hype. I only read Linger, because the end of Shiver was done well. However, I only finished Linger, because I always finish books once I start them. I might have thrown the book across the room several times out of disgust. I own Forever, but can't bring myself to read it.

ANYWAY, when I found out that Stiefvater had won the Printz, I was...enraged? Yeah, basically. I couldn't believe that the writer of the Shiver series could write anything else that could even come close to deserving consideration for a Printz, let alone win one. So, I decided I had to read The Scorpio Races to see if the Printz award now held the same value as a Cracker Jack prize.

I WAS SO WRONG! And I'm so glad I was wrong. The Scorpio Races is one of the best books I've read in years, and is now up there among my other favorites. The writing is beautiful, subtle, and worthy of any and every award. As a former teacher, I truly hope that this book is taught in schools. If I was still teaching, I would put it in my curriculum. The story of Puck and Sean is so unique and memorable. It reminded me, in that way, of when I read Where the Red Fern Grows in the 6th grade. I can't remember details of that story after all these years (except for the end, of course), but I will never forget how that book touched me or how it made me feel.

This book is a gift. Read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.