Jessica (Books: A true story)'s Reviews > Walkabout

Walkabout by Gary Taaffe

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: ebook-challenge-2012, kindle, own, 4-stars, blog, amazon, for-review, content-medium
Read on April 12, 2012

In Walkabout, Billy goes into the “whitefella” culture for the first time and his culture shock is charming, honest and amusing. I loved the Australian lingo throughout the book. Some of the words I’d never heard before, but it wasn’t too difficult to figure out, like when he slides his “sunnies” (I’d call them sunglasses) to the top of his head. It helped me really get a feel for the culture. The story starts off a bit slow, but picks up with some more great gross-out hunting scenes that I loved from the first book but this time there are cute puppies. The humor had me laughing out loud in places, but mostly I felt myself smiling a lot at how innocent Billy is despite being able to hunt and live off of the land on his own at such a young age. Billy is a juxtaposition of seasoned warrior and innocent child that makes him incredibly easy to like. It was such a fun and entertaining adventure story.

This book is also reviewed on my blog Books: A true story
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walkabout.