Katy's Reviews > Redemption

Redemption by Veronique Launier

Apr 13, 12

Read from April 11 to 13, 2012

I thought the majority part of this book was kind of boring, and I couldn't really get into it until the last fourth of the book.

For a concept, I like that Launier wrote about gargoyles, a subject that has not been played out in mainstream young adult fiction. However, the story progressed kind of slowly, and there wasn't much action nor did I feel much of a connection with the characters in this book.

Like I said, the action didn't really happened until near the end of the book. And when it did, I felt it was jam-packed - maybe a little TOO much. Every time I thought the book was getting ready to end, the group was met with yet another challenge, so I was kind of left wondering why Launier didn't spread it out a little more.

I will say I'm a little disappointed that the show-down with the terra cotta man was really short, and it was over before anything really happened. And the scenes with Garnier, Aude and then Vincent were a bit intense, but there was still that depth that is supposed to twist your heart that was lacking in the writing of these scenes. Still, it did make it a bit worth trying to get to the end.

I think I would have liked this book a lot more if I had liked the characters. Aude is kind of a self-centered bitch at times, and I just wanted to smack her, especially when she's mad at Patrick and Lucy. And Guillaume, I just want to shake him for being such a selfish jerk - and not in the mysterious, alluring kind of way. I just really didn't like him.

Overall, it's not a bad read, and I enjoyed enough of it to say I liked it. Still, it had a lot of potential to be really great, and I think cutting out some of the dragging parts and putting more depth in the action scenes could make a huge difference.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redemption.

53.33% "Chapter 29."
04/11/2012 page 192
53.33% "Chapter 29 (50% done)."