Libby Ames's Reviews > Angry Management

Angry Management by Chris Crutcher

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, for-my-boys, young-adult-fiction
Read in April, 2012

Another profound Chris Crutcher book that I can't really recommend because of language and some painful issues. I love Crutcher's characters and his way of showing their victory in the face of some of the harshest tragedies. In Angry Management he combines some of his favorite characters in other books for three novellas. Sarah Byrnes is back, struggling with life and finding more pain, but also more success. Crutcher also gives some minor characters larger rolls.

As a child and family psychologist, Crutcher writes from his experiences with the harsher sides of life. I enjoy his open minded view of struggling teens and their ability to overcome. He writes with the attitude that people should be understood rather than judged and I love that view. Some might be surprised with how closely his views echo mine. They certainly aren't traditional or conservative views, but I believe they are charitable view. I love reading his books, but if harsh language or difficult issues like child abuse, homosexuality, and bigotry are hard for you to read, you may not want to read. However, I feel that all his writing focuses on redemption and courage rather than the ugliness of these issues.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angry Management.