Cheekey's Reviews > Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore

Apr 18, 12

Read from April 11 to 17, 2012

I was really excited about Sacré Bleu coming out. Paris in the late 19th century, with all the great artists of the time: painters, writers, composers...what an exciting time to write about! And one of the lead characters is Toulouse-Lautrec? Tres Bien!

When I started reading the reviews my stomach sank. People said they hated this book. Quelle damage! I was crushed. I really hoped I didn't have another Fool on my hands (sorry, Christopher Moore, not really a favorite).

Now let me wax poetic about Sacré Bleu...

This is a story about the color blue. The Sacré Bleu to be exact. Who else could write a book about a color and have it be entertaining? Christopher Moore, that's who. I thought this was a great, witty story that took me back in time with Henri and Lucien to Paris, 1890's...just after the impressionism movement with some of the best painters of the time.

I loved the bawdiness of Lautrec, the innocence of Lucien and the gentleness of Pissaro. I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was smart, well written and had just the right amount of Moore wit. I really think this is one of Moore's better books. I certainly didn't guffaw like a fool the entire time, but I did have bits of snorting and out-loud-laughing between the antics of Henri, The Colorman and the rest of the characters.

I think what I liked most about the book is that I know a bit about the the time period, Paris/Monmarte's history with the impressionists and knew how most of the artists of that time died. I think Moore's use of the color Bleu and how he wrapped it up in the artists' and art's history and using them as characters was very well done.

I just really, truly enjoyed this book. It really was a comedy d'art.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacré Bleu.