Neyra ♦'s Reviews > Improper Relations

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: erotica, historical
Read from April 25 to 28, 2012

Review also found @Darkest Addictions' Book Reviews

Maybe I'm just a modern kinda girl, but my only issue with this book was that it was set in the 1800's. The way the characters spoke kind of put me off a little, not in a bad way, and they were too proper, I know the irony of the title doesn't escape my notice x]

Improper Relations, is a short story about a young woman named Hannah, who lives with her late husband's aunt, Augusta. One day while in the library, Augusta's youngest son, Leo comes in and soon after has sex with one of the maids, Ida. Mortified, Hannah says nothing, simply watches in hope that soon after they are finished, they'll leave and she could be on her way. But little did she know, Leo was aware of her presence in the library and stays to confront her. When curiosity trumps mortification, Hannah begins to ask Leo questions and finds out that women are suppose to enjoy sex as much as men do. Having very little, and uninspiring experience with sex, Hannah refuses to believe that women are anything but "lust vessels" for men. So to prove her wrong, Leo proposes a plan, he'll teach her that women are meant to experience desire as well. As months go by, Hannah learns about masturbation and the various positions in which a man can take a woman, but finds herself drawn to Leo in a way she'd never been drawn to another man before.

I really liked Leo, he's a commanding man, but he's got a sweet nature, he was a gentlemen :) But to his family he's nothing more than a good-for-nothing man-whore, who, according to them, will never amount to anything if he doesn't get his act together. What I found out about Leo really was a shock. I didn't expect the revelation at the end. Nice surprise ;)

Hannah made me laugh out loud twice, she may not have been a virgin, but she was a virgin. Let me explain.. growing up her mother had always told her that women weren't meant to enjoy sex, that when her husband was f***ing her, she should think of something else until he finished. As for her late husband, he never took the time to, explore (for lack of a better word), her and allow her to experience an orgasm. He simply just took her. So when she witnesses Leo having sex with the maid, and sees that the maid is enjoying herself, she begins to experience little twinges of desire, but does not know what these feelings mean. And so, her curiosity wins her need to be a proper young woman and accepts Leo's offer.

I was intrigued to say the least, just wondering how they were going to keep their relationship hidden and would they be caught? What would happen if they got caught, and how would they fare after their "lessons" were over? Would they simply go on about their lives as if nothing happened between them, or would there be more to their relationship than just a secret affair?

This short story is great to read over the weekend or during a spare hour or two :) I'll finish this review with a couple snippets that made me LOL while reading, I hope you guys enjoy if you pick up a copy of this story :)

This was after witnessing the maid suck on Leo:

This was after he entered her:
"Tell me what this feels like," he demanded.
How should I answer? "It's very nice," I said, which seemed to fit the moment.
"Nice? that's all you have to say? Nice?"
"I beg your pardon--"

This book was given to me for review by the publisher via Netgalley
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Improper Relations.

04/28/2012
12.0% ""And it was making me quite unwell. My pulse was racing, I'd begun to perspire though I hadn't moved for many minuters, and the oddest kind of ache had taken up residence deep within me. I felt restless and languid and, oddly enough, hungry for something--but what it was, I couldn't tell. Perhaps I ought to have eaten more at luncheon."--I'm sorry but that's just funny. who says that? Lol.."
04/28/2012
80.0% ""Tell me what this feels like," he demanded.
How should I answer? "It's very nice," I said, which seemed to fit the moment.
"Nice? that's all you have to say? Nice?"
"I beg your pardon--"
"It's more than goddamn nice," he growled. "It's bloody perfect, that's what it is." -Way to deflate a man's ego x]"
04/28/2012
100.0% "Great. Finished already. Review to come :)"