Carrie's Reviews > The Vor Game

The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: audio, own, fiction-non-romance, humorous, read-2012, science-fiction, soa-listening-challenge-2012, sfr-reading-challenge-2012
Read from April 18 to 22, 2012

SOA Listening Challenge 2012: Surprise Me 2nd Quarter
Choice #4--Listen to a non-romance

SFR Reading Challenge 2012 #12- I was doing the Moon Challenge (15 books) but will now up my status to the next level.

4.5*
Grade A

Watching Miles "grow up" is almost as difficult and nerve wracking as watching my own children's progress. Although I'm very grateful my children won't be juggling the future of the known universe in their hands any time soon. I was on the edge of my seat for much of the book, and laughing out loud for much of the rest. Miles is a wonderful character, and his over-confidence and bravado inspire both admiration and horror. This is my first time through the series, and I can't help wondering if the impact of the decisions Miles has had to make, including the mistakes, is going to come back to haunt him. And I wonder if he'll ever think he's achieved enough to make up for his disabilities.

Bujold is a master at convoluted, many-layered plots. Reading her one of her books is always a pleasure. The narration by Grover Gardner is excellent as always. While he doesn't change his voice a great deal for his characters, he does have a different inflection for each character, especially during dialogues, and it's easy to follow along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vor Game.

Susan Cartwright One of my very favotie authors. I have read everything of her's. Wonderful fun. The SF version of Georgette Heyer. My favorite is "A Civil Contract" - I laughed all the way through that. But you need to read her other's first if you haven't already.)

Carrie I listened to Shards of Honor, then listened to Komarr, and am finishing up a (slow) reading of The Warrior's Apprentice. I do want to listen to A Civil Campaign for a book club in June or July, but thought I'd go back and try to catch up first. I may not have time to read/listen to them all. I loved Komarr even without knowing the rest of the story, and would probably love A Civil Campaign just as much. Bujold is an amazing author. Have you read/listened to Curse of Chalion?

Susan Cartwright I listened to the Curse of Chalian on audio. There are many many books I admire, but if I had written that one book I would be able to die happy knowing I did a vital/ good thing. She is such a non-nonsense, common sense yet spiritual person. I LOVED that book. I bought it hard copy, too.

Carrie That audiobook is near perfection--the writing, the story, and the narration. sigh