Lyndsey's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

All right. Start it up "We Will Rock You" style, now.

Clap, clap, stomp. Clap, clap, stomp. Clap, clap, stomp. Clap, clap, stomp.

We are, we are DAUNTLESS

Singin'
We are, we are DIVERGENT
We are, we are DIVERGENT

Tobias is a Dauntless, Divergent
Shoutin' to them all, We can take on the world today
Erudite got blood on their face
We'll put them in their place
Into the past, out of our Fear Landscapes

Singin'

Come on!

The Rundown

Okay, I'm sorry but I am NOT going to give you a summary of this book. I knew nothing going in and I loved it that way. Everything was a surprise and I think maybe that's how it should be. Plus, you know you want to read it anyway.

And if you haven't read Divergent yet... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! Shoo! Go read it NOW.

The Plot and World-Building

This world in Insurgent is darker and even more exciting than Divergent. Each chapter raises the stakes until you're all in. The characters in this book are so much more alive than in any other book I've read recently. They have such fascinating layers and depth that I feel I could never uncover all he secrets they hold. Luckily, Veronica Roth is amazing at helping us do just that. The characters are masterfully unraveled before our very eyes. Insights unlocked that I'd have never seen coming.

The same goes for the storyline. There are things happening in this book that I wouldn't have once guessed. And I consider myself pretty adept at figuring out storylines. Every new plot twist is a welcome surprise. Every new bit of info is an exciting reveal.

I was very pleasantly surprised that the romance storyline DID NOT overwhelm the majority of the plot. This was a book about society and about war and about dealing with everything that comes with both of those. That's what dystopian fiction is supposed to be about.

The plot expands greatly upon what we know about the society and it's background, which in the first was mostly nil. I was thrilled with the way the information was revealed and what it means for the future of the series.

The Characters

Tris really FEELS the emotions brought on by the deaths that she believes herself to be responsible for, even when she had no other choice. In fact, she feels her feelings almost too much. A lot like the way people really do in even less dire real life situations. She's just an ordinary girl in an extraordinary situation. At least, that's how she sees herself. She doesn't at all realize how strong and extraordinary she really is.

As much as I love Katniss from The Hunger Games, I never really felt her inner turmoil the way I do with Tris. My stomach clenches when I think of what she's gone through so far. If I think about it too much, I'll get nauseous.

On another note, I have a tiny gripe about the passages involving Four's looks, like this one: "Some girls might focus on the way his ears stick out, or the way his nose hooks at the end." Plus, many other little ones about his spindly long fingers and gaunt face.

Wow, move over Fabio! Lemme at him!! GOOD LORD, this woman really does not want us to find Ol' Toby attractive, does she?  I appreciate that he isn't your typical "hero" type, because let's face it - not every guy has long blonde waves and gleaming teeth. But not every girl finds that kind of guy attractive either.  It doesn't have to be one or the other. I would like a bit sexier description of him from time to time. You know, something that doesn't make it sound as though he looks like Beetlejuice.

For example, most people wouldn't call Edward Scissorhands himself a classically handsome man. If you tried to, you could make some of Johnny Depp's characters sound pretty hideous in a text description, but he somehow manages to transcend the gloomy and unique nature of those characters and bring them to life in a way that makes them sexy and intriguing. I just would like a little something like that in the description of Four in the future.

The Romance

First off, yes, I still call him Four. Tris switches off between calling him Four and Tobias in the book. Lately, I've found myself calling him Tobias in my head but when I write it, it usually ends up being Four. I mean, that's what he was called throughout almost the entire first novel... but the name Tobias is starting to grow on me.

To be honest, I was afraid that Tris and Four's relationship would go down the cookie cutter route. I couldn't be more thrilled with the direction their romance has taken. They have real issues that they work through. There is no angst purely for the sake angst. It's all based on their present and past situations. If you're looking for a lovey dovey, pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows kind of relationship, then sorry but you won't find that here. Sorry to burst your cotton candy bubble gum bubble. And yes, I know I'm evil. *sly grin*

There's angst and arguing but NO love triangle with the main character. At least not one that was discernible to me. If there was one, it was a ninja assassin love triangle.

The Verdict

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in this series. Insurgent was an incredibly delicious, exciting, and emotional read! But mostly, it just flat out made an impact on me.

The other night I was watching Merlin, which has newly been added to my list of all-time favorite TV shows, and there was one particular moment where a character shows a redonkulous amount of bravery in a certain heartbreaking scene which cannot be named, and I literally thought to myself "That's so Dauntless." That's the power of the world that Veronica Roth has created. When a story becomes part of pop culture, when it is so unique and recognizable that it can be spoofed or merchandised, and when it's terminology works its way into your everyday life - that's when you see the true power of literature. I believe that this is one of those stories.

Oh and by the way, I want a T-Shirt with the Dauntless faction symbol, so... someone get started on that ASAP. *snap, snap*

The winner of the Divergent and Insurgent PRIZE PACK has been announced on STRANGEMORE.COM. Check the Rafflecopter Widget to see the name of the winner!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Jessica I entered your contest!!

Darnell J. I'm glad this book evokes that kind of emotion. I just realized that I was one of the winners chosen for the giveaway, and I should be receiving it soon. Look forward to reading both it and Divergent.

Lyndsey Thanks Jessica! Good luck :-)

Congrats, Darnell! I enter those Goodreads giveaways all the time but haven't won anything in ages, lol.

Leyoh That good? I'm looking forward to the review.

Stephen :| I never win anything, oh well.

Leah (Jane Speare) No love triangle! Thank the gods!!!

Aly (Fantasy4eva) lol that poem was epic. and I know. when she described him. I was like, are you kidding me? I'm already having a tough time swooning over the guy and now you've just killed all hope. don't know, he's never done it for me really. i loved it more than divergent too!

I felt for the girl too :/. there's so much I want to scream out, but yes, must be good and keep it to myself *sighs*

Danielle I'm only at the beginning of the first book and I'm loving it so far.

Lyndsey Jane wrote: "No love triangle! Thank the gods!!!"

I know, right? I mean, personally, I've always liked them more than I should but not every single book needs one.

@Aly - The "poem" is actually set to the song We Will Rock You. You should look it up - it'a a really fun song! I was really hoping the descriptions of Four would be better this time around :-/

Danielle - YAY! I get so excited when people read Divergent. That's one of those that I'd like to read for the first time all over again.

message 10: by Trudi (new) - rated it 1 star

Trudi Woo! hoo! So excited for this!!!! Thanks for ratcheting up the anticipation :)

She's got mud on her face
A parental disgrace
Now she'll be kickin your ass all over the place

Love it! I'm gonna be singing that for the rest of the day!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist this is gold, Lyndsey! So glad you liked it - now I'm confident that I will, too. And I LOLed at the Beetlejuice reference - ha!

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah (Jane Speare) Regarding Four, I didn't even consider him a love interest until something actually *happened* and I was like what! Is he even her age? Okay! Then looking back, I couldn't find a single good description of him. Which is...refreshing for YA? And a little odd. So I just make him up in my head. :) I am going to reread this tomorrow!

Aly (Fantasy4eva) he's 18. which i found pretty hard to believe at first. I was so sure he was in his mid 20s or something!

message 14: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah (Jane Speare) "he's 18. which i found pretty hard to believe at first. I was so sure he was in his mid 20s or something!"

Oh! 18! Wow. Totally thought he was at least 22. Interesting...

Gabrielle Carolina THE SONG! That's all.

message 16: by Misty (new)

Misty LOL! You're hilarious. Ah, Queen forever lives on.

Lyndsey Amelia - I think you'll like it. Four and Tris are far from a "typical" YA romance. And I love dark sci-fi/fantasy comedy like Beetlejuice. Can't wait for Dark Shadows!

Jane and Aly - I don't think I remembered for sure that he was 18 but I assumed he was somewhere around there because they always talked about the leaders of Dauntless being so young compared to other factions.

@Trudi, Gabrielle, and Misty - YAY, you liked the song! It's been stuck in my head for days now, lol.

Willa Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait....HOW DID YOU GET YOUR HANDS ON THIS?!?! I haven't read much of your review for fear of spoils but DID IT COME OUT?!?!?

message 19: by Meggie (new) - added it

Meggie Blakeley I'm so jealous of you right now you have no idea. :)

Kristy I <3 your song!!!! I am now dying (even more that before) to get my hands on this!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH! SO, so,so,so happy it was not a dissapointment ;)

~Tina~ Best review evah!!!

message 22: by Crowinator (new) - added it

Crowinator Great review. Okay, I love your song, too. This has really made me excited for Insurgent, whenever it finally comes in to my library. (Soon...soon...)

Merlin is one of my favorite shows currently too -- which scene are you speaking about? There are so many that fit! You can spoiler tag it or message me, I'm just curious. (c:

Lyndsey Kristy and Tina, I really hope you guys love it, too. Tris is very heavy hearted in this one so it's not as easy-going as the first book. It had more shock value. But it's SO exciting!

Crow - I'll PM you! It's kind of a big spoiler for those who haven't watched yet :-)

Michelle Sharp Wow, amazing review. I can not wait until I read this!! Tuesday can't get here soon enough!

message 25: by Kiwi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kiwi "NO love triangle with the main character..."
YES, THANK FREAKING HALLELUJAH!! Dammit, now I really want to read this... -.-'

Boyanna OK! i got to say it: great review!!!
you didn't reveal any plot details (which i was afraid of) and u just make me want to read the book even more now!

Filippa which Merlin scene? :D

Navdha I'm in love looooove with this review. So here I am just reading the summary once more, counting the days till I get my hands on this book and I move down to the reviewing and read the clap clap stomp and I'm like Oh.my.God! I love this review already! I wasn't going to read the entire review first thinking it would be spoiler-ish but then I read someone's comment that it wasn't and so I scrolled up and read the entire review and I love it!! Thanks for the great review!

Grace Love, love, loooove your review!!! It was funny and did not have any spoilers!!! Keep up the good work!

message 30: by Cassie (new) - added it

Cassie "It was a ninja assassin love triangle." Hahahaha! Thank you for that line, it made my day!

Izzat Zainal If you're looking for a lovey dovey, pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows kind of relationship, then sorry but you won't find that here. Sorry to burst your cotton candy bubble gum bubble. And yes, I know I'm evil. *sly grin*

xD I WANT TO SCREAM THE QUOTE ABOVE TO THE HORNEHH GIRLS WHO ALWAYS WAITING THE FOURTRIS SCENE!

I love this review. Completely agree to it. AND THE SONG! I want to put it in my iPod if it's recorded. xDD

Janet Chen I have to ask - was the Merlin scene with Merlin in 2x12?

Lyndsey Janet wrote: "I have to ask - was the Merlin scene with Merlin in 2x12?"

Actually, it was in the fourth season and it was a different character (view spoiler) ;-)

message 34: by Arti (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arti love the song :)

Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~ Totally just sang that song, LOVE it!

Holly What a great review - Its all the things I was thinking but haven't said in mine... I think we must have similar tastes! I especially agree with your comparison of Tris with Katniss (I love the hunger games but you are so right) Tris' characters emotional struggles were so much more realistic than Katniss'. I really felt what Tris was feeling, I hurt for her. I was more detached from Katniss' woes, I understood them but didnt relate to them as well... perhaps because Katniss was always exceptional and Tris was always just average

Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~ ^ Exactly, Holly! This is why Divergent is now number three on my list, and HG number 4!

Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~ And the lack of a main character love triangle... Incredibly refreshing! Like it SOO much better that way!

Holly I completely agree, it's one of the things I dislike about YA books - there's always either a love triangle or a boy the main character cant help herself around even though he's a jerk.. and that is thankfully missing in this... sure four is a nice guy (I dont get why she's always trying to make out he's funny looking though) he's not perfect but he's not a jerk either. much more believable romance in this series thats for sure. I still love the hunger games though!

Vaishnavee Suresh The perfect review of a perfect book.....and that we will rock you part in the begining was hilarious!

Pricky I agree! I never felt connected to Katniss the way I do to Tris. And I too was a bit perturbed by Four's description. I think I edited out all of Roth's descriptions in my head...

message 42: by Cassie (new) - added it

Cassie Pricky wrote: "I agree! I never felt connected to Katniss the way I do to Tris. And I too was a bit perturbed by Four's description. I think I edited out all of Roth's descriptions in my head..."

I did the same thing!

message 43: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA! OMIGAAAADDDDDD. dead*

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

first book that i have read in a long long time in which there is no love triangles - thank the heaven's for the that!

Diana I agree. Your review has truly brought out what I thought exactly. The problem is, after having read it, I can't seem to put my erratic thoughts into words at this point. My review doesn't exactly do the book justice but may I just say, this was an epic book that should totally be read by all. It deserves it. I don't know how Veronica Roth does it but she had better keep making those books or I don't know what I'll do!!!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

You're review! LOL MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD! nice song you should sing it or something :P

Andrea Lin Lol~ Love this!!

message 48: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa clever review! i like it. haha

1toughcookie Good song choice! Funny :))

Sophia Lin LOL. Love the song choice and parody for it :D