Lisa's Reviews > The Traitor's Wife

The Traitor's Wife by Kathleen Kent

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from April 15 to 16, 2012

When I found out there was a prequel to The Heretic's Daughter, I was so excited. Kathleen Kent had swept me back to the 1600s, in the midst of the horrific witch trials and the Carrier family. I found myself absorbed and surprisingly attached to these complex people. After a glimpse of the strong love between Martha and Thomas Carrier, I wanted to know about their early lives, how they met, etc. And then, I learned about this prequel telling just that - yay!

In The Heretic's Daughter, I learned about the Salem Witch Trials. In The Traitor's Wife (also known as The Wolves of Andover), I learned some English history, specifically Oliver Cromwell, King Charles I and II, the English Civil War or the Great War among other things and all very painlessly while wrapped up in an engaging story. I couldn't put the book down and like other good historical fiction, I was referring to my encyclopedias, learning more. Love it! Also, Kent's family history motivated me to dig out my family tree and I found some of my ancestors hailed from Andover, MA in the 1600s also. A few of them were killed by Native Americans.

This may sound greedy, but I wished there had been more about Thomas and Martha after they married. This book ended too soon for me, which I think is a sign of a really good read. I look forward to Kathleen Kent's next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Traitor's Wife.