Lena's Reviews > The Shining

The Shining by Stephen King

220791
Aug 24, 08

bookshelves: fiction

I hadn't really realized just how deeply this story is embedded in the collective unconscious until I mentioned to a friend a few years back that my now husband and I were considering getting married at The Stanley Hotel, the Colorado landmark where the movie version of this book was set.

"Are you insane?" she said to me. "You cannot do that. I will spend the entire ceremony waiting for blood to start pouring out the elevators."

We got married down the road instead.
49 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shining.

Meen Oh, I totally couldn't have done it there either... TOOOOO creepy!

This is one of my favorites of his.

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Clark Good to know. I would never have even thought of that. I avoid Stephen King. I tried heroically to read "The Stand," because an ex-lover absolutely loved King. I struggled through 1/3 of it and finally told her, "Honey, there is no way I want to read that book! It is far to graphic and gross for me."

At the same time, his book on writing is *phenomenal.* Led to all kinds of theories about why he would write such goriness - childhood medical procedures, serious ones, were apparently a regular part of his life.

He can write - I just don't like his material.

message 3: by Lena (last edited Sep 15, 2008 07:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena Is The Stand the one that's set in Boulder? I have vague memories of having read that one 30 years ago as well, but vague is the operative word.

I agree about his writing book. It's one of my favorites on the topic.

My husband met him when he was in Estes filming the TV version of The Shining. He was left with two impressions - what a nice guy he was, and how he just really, really enjoyed scaring himself.

Meen The Stand is set all over, but yeah, the "good guys" end up in Boulder. (And the "bad guys" in Vegas, haha!)

He has said many times before that he thinks we (those of us who do) like horror because it is a safe way to experience fear, which can be cathartic for those of us (himself included) who have had really scarey REAL experiences in life.

And yeah, by all accounts he does seem to be just a genuinely nice guy--a FREAKY guy, but a nice guy nonetheless!

Gemma "Freaky, but nice....." I think that's a good way to describe most writers, especially the ones who specialize in horror.

message 6: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Gray Stephen King was the first writer that made an impression on me to read more books. His books are still some of my favorites, the Dark Tower and the Gunslinger, The Green Mile and many of his collections of shorter stories like The Long walk and The Mist were great! However the older I get the less I enjoy being scared to death so now I stick to Fantasy and some Sci Fi these days. I sleep better that way!

Lena I know the feeling, Daniel.

Christina LOL.. how funny!