Betsy's Reviews > May B.

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose

419395
Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, poetry, middle-grades, vsba, vsba-int-14-15, intermediate
Read in June, 2012

I enjoyed this quick read of a girl who ends up fending for herself on the prairie. At first, I was afraid May B. was like so many historical fiction heroines: plucky, smart, book-loving, etc. You know the type. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this girl has a learning disability and that reading IS hard for her--even though she likes it. So that's a new dimension. This is also a novel in verse--which I enjoy although I realize many people don't and that that will pose a big turnoff to most kids--but I think it added a nice dimension to May B's tale. It kept it from being too long. This was a story told easily in verse, easily in the pages given it, and didn't need the added verbiage a longer prose novel might have given it. May B. grows up some, braves her fears, and strikes out on her own for home across a blizzard covered prairie; like many middle grade novels, she is reunited with her parents, but is a stronger character at the end of the novel than at the beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read May B..