Nikki's Reviews > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, lgbt, favourites
Read on April 11, 2012

I've been stalled with the third book of this trilogy for a while, so I decided to kickstart myself by rereading the first two books (it is very much a case of "it's not you, it's me" with that book; I know I'd have devoured it if circumstances were different). They haven't lost anything in the reread -- it's been a while since I've been so completely swept up in a book that I'd ignore the rest of the world, but this book did that for me just as it did the first time. I think I registered the things I disliked a little more, but I also saw the purposes of them more. I could honestly believe that nothing about this book was accidental. And it still felt new and fresh the second time round, too -- I felt like I was hearing something new, even though I know the story.

I can't say I've really changed my opinions about this book since my initial review. With the second and part of the third books under my belt, though, I think I appreciated more of what was going on -- what was being set up, which is an added reason for how good it was to experience this for a second time. It's definitely worth rereading, to appreciate how the story comes together, and the ground it lays for the next books.

I'm so glad Jemisin's new books will be out soon, and within a month of each other. I've made my pre-order!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.