Caroline McMaster's Reviews > Timepiece

Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Nov 20, 2013

bookshelves: arc, reviewed
Read from April 11 to May 05, 2012

I was so glad that I was able to find Timepiece early. I loved the first book and was too impatient to have to wait until June for the next installment of the Hourglass series by Myra McEntire.

In Hourglass and Timepiece, the world is not as it seems. There are people all over the world with powers hidden from society- time traveling, for example. Emerson can travel back in the past and even see "rips", scenes and people not from the present showing up as if they belong there. Lily has an uncanny ability to be able to find things. Kaleb can sense emotions of others-happiness, sadness, anger, despair. Jack can control memories. Not everyone in this world is looking to do good. Altering the past can really screw up the future, and when Jack does attempts this by taking and giving false memories, he messes up the space-time continuum causing major turmoil.

Kaleb becoming the narrator is a huge change. It was confusing at first, since he has an entirely different mindset than Emerson. While we see everything from her POV in Hourglass, It's Kaleb who we follow throughout Timepiece. I personally loved this. I really liked Kaleb in the first book, so this was exciting. He has such an interesting personality. While he is obviously flawed- he's an alcoholic that chases girls around- he is unique. His ability to feel emotions and even take them makes him act differently around people. Watching him develop and reading his thoughts was great. He made me laugh constantly. When he started actually (view spoiler)

Timepiece was even better than Hourglass, which I didn't think would be possible. The plot was fantastic and I felt like I was there half the time. The action and the romance are at a perfect balance. When I read a book, there's often either too much or too little romance/action, but Myra McEntire got it just right.
We learned about the characters- their pasts, present, and futures which made it easy to connect with them. I really loved them all- even Ava, who, I admit, was not under my "favorite characters" list in Hourglass. She comes to Kaleb's rescue, which caused her to gain my respect. Lily being thoroughly involved in Timepiece was awesome. I loved her in Hourglass, even though she was not seen as often as, say, Michael. I was relieved when Kaleb eventually loved Emerson as a "little sister" instead of romantically. I wasn't in the mood for the classic YA love triangle.

Waiting for the next book will be H-E-double-hockey-sticks. Especially since I read this earlier than the publishing date, meaning I may wait even longer for #3. I hope the wait will be worth it!

5/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timepiece.