Jim Braly's Reviews > Garage on the Edge of Town

Garage on the Edge of Town by Craig Scott

Apr 11, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

I received “Garage on the Edge of Town” in a Goodreads giveaway. I advise you to disregard all of my comments — I am not qualified to review outrageous, transgressive poetry. However, I liked the book enough to send copies to Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich to give them an outside-the-gated-community taste of nihilism and despair, into which 49.4 percent of America will descend after the November election. You see, I chose to read “Garage” as a metaphor for — and a reaction to — the politics of modern life.

This is really more a pamphlet than a book, 21 poems spread across a mere 19 pages. With titles such as “Cocksucker,” “Does This Make Me A Pedophile?” and “She’s Not A Whore, She’s Your Whore,” you may not (or maybe you may) want to put it out on the coffee table when guests visit. (A snippet of the conversation that could ensue: “Oh, didn’t you just love in ‘The Sun Disappeared’ how he saved the world by having a three-way with a picture of Jayne Mansfield and a watermelon? If only that would really work.”)

The author of “Garage” is Craig Scott, a pseudonym, which presumably keeps his mother from knowing he wrote it (and keeps Romney, Santorum and Gingrich from having him arrested and burned in hell). The writing veers from psychotically sexual to revoltingly scatological to disturbingly violent to insightfully amusing. Yes, I laughed occasionally, causing me to question my own mental health. But isn’t that one of the things poetry is supposed to do? I wonder if Adrienne Rich would have liked it? Probably not — too much misogyny. Then again, perhaps “Garage on the Edge of Town” is totally tongue in cheek. Or tongue in … something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garage on the Edge of Town.