Lisa Vegan's Reviews > How Do You Hug a Porcupine?

How Do You Hug a Porcupine? by Laurie Isop

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Recommended for: children who love animals and pretty illustrations
Read on April 25, 2012

Right on the cover it says this book is the winner of the Cheerios (cereal) New Author Contest. Well, I’m glad they’re supporting authors and books and reading. And they sure found a gem with this book and author, and with its illustrator too.

The rhyming story is wonderful, rhyming all the way through until the last page, which has just one word. The story is fun and funny and sweet. The only thing I didn’t like was that there were a couple animals along the way that weren’t hug worthy, and they looked rather sad about that.

I loved the pictures. I love the art style and the colors and the details, and I especially love the expressiveness of all the animals, and of the children too.

This is a fine book for reading aloud one to one or to groups and early readers will enjoy it too. ages 2-8

I love that in the author’s bio it says the animal she’d most want to hug is an (unfortunately extinct) Caspian tiger, and I noticed that the illustrator for this book also illustrated a book I read earlier today, Guess What I Found in Dragon Wood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Do You Hug a Porcupine?.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Note to Kathryn and others who care about such things: The rhyme isn't perfect but it worked for me anyway.

Kathryn Thanks! I hope it will work for me, too. If it's a good story overall I usually don't mind a few awkward rhymes here and there :-)

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "Thanks! I hope it will work for me, too. If it's a good story overall I usually don't mind a few awkward rhymes here and there :-)"

I think you'll like it, perhaps with reservations, but I think you'll really like it. It's so cute.

Kathryn I've loved Gwen Millward's illustrations in the past :-)

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Apr 25, 2012 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "I've loved Gwen Millward's illustrations in the past :-)"

Another set of books for me to check out!

Lisa Vegan Oh, yeah. I have read and enjoyed most of them!

Lisa Vegan Abigail, It's really cute. I just noticed a typo I corrected. Illustrator not illustration(s).

Kathryn You're right, I loved this! :-)