Melinda's Reviews > Sword of the Archon

Sword of the Archon by D.P. Prior

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 11 to 12, 2012

Finally!!! Authors are writing books for people who are literate and have brains and vocabularies. This book is so entirely fabulous that I couldn't add it to my favorites list fast enough. I don't see what all the whinging was about in the other reviews. The vocabulary isn't overly extensive and you don't need a character list to keep track of everyone. From the reviews I expected a cast of thousands and dense, rare vocabulary, not to mention confusion for at least the first 50 pages if not the first half of the book. None of this was true. This is an intelligently written story that does expect you to pay attention. At the same time, it was such a kick to read it that it took less than one day to finish.

The story takes place in post-apocolyptic Australia, where technology and science have been replaced by magic and religion and mythology have combined to create a kind of mythos. A big change is coming and everyone is becoming pulled in - men, Gods, dwarfs, dreamers and the undead. The story switches between first person POV of the different characters who all want something - whether it is to remake the universe in their own image, do the right thing, or be simply left alone - you get yo understand what drives these characters both good and bad. There are no absolutes here, there is a lot of gray area in each character just like real life. This makes the characterization outstanding.

The author also knows his way around the English language and uses it to great effect to craft sentences that add to the mood and the tone of the story. This is no junior wordsmith. On top of that the plot is tight, the pacing good, the ending sharp. What more could a girl ask for but a second book? And I get that too! The last time I read something this intelligent it was either ages ago by Dunnett or Whittemore or more recently by Conklin or Rhine. Thank God for indie authors. This one clearly hasn't sold out to commercialism.

I would recommend this book to anyone who appreciates a well crafted, intelligent story. This one has it in spades. You don't even have like fantasy to love this book, the human interest stories alone are worth it.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sword of the Archon.