Bryn Hammond's Reviews > Child of a Dream

Child of a Dream by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: imagined-fiction

Empty, for me - in psychology and style - and a pity because I want a worthy novel on the subject. A great novel for a great man... the search goes on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Child of a Dream.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicja (new) - added it

Alicja Have you read Mary Renault's trilogy about Alexander the Great? Fire from Heaven - Alexander between the ages of three and 19 when his father died from various POVs; The Persian Boy - Alexander from 26 until his death told from the POV of his eunuch servant; Funeral Games - Power struggle after Alexander's death told from multiple POVs. It is really en excellent trilogy, very historically accurate.

message 2: by Bryn (last edited May 07, 2013 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Bryn Hammond Hi Alicja. To be perfectly honest I didn't take to the Persian Boy, where I began. I think perhaps I was frustrated by the indirect look at Alexander, where I was after his internals. --I'll go back to her trilogy, of course I must.

message 3: by Alicja (new) - added it

Alicja Bryn wrote: "Hi Alicja. To be perfectly honest I didn't take to the Persian Boy, where I began. I think perhaps I was frustrated by the indirect look at Alexander, where I was after his internals. --I'll go bac..."

Yeah, none of those provide any of his internal dialogue. However, I think that would be an even more daunting task for an author because of just how unique he seems to have been (it would be harder to tackle writing such a novel). Far easier to observe by others. But I did enjoy Renault's trilogy a lot (she is one of my favorite authors).

message 4: by Bryn (new) - rated it 1 star

Bryn Hammond Yup, I've suspected authors avoid that, with him -- since God of War decides to take an outside perspective, too. Can't blame them. I have loved other Mary Renaults.