Mia's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Apr 11, 12

Lots of people told me how great this book was, so when it went on sale for Kindle (I think it was $3) I scooped it up. I have to admit, I kind of like YA novels, especially for sci-fi/fantasy books, because it's easier for my brain to comprehend (if it's written for an 11 year old, I can understand it! *FISTPUMP*). So it made this a very quick read. Although it coincided with the movie release and bowing to pressure from friends, I paused my book halfway to see the movie. I have to say that I prefer the book (another discussion, another forum).

I thought the writing was solid and the characters were well-formed. The author makes it easy to root for Katniss through all of the trials and tribulations of the Games and made her very 'human' and relateable so that I found myself often stopping to think "oh man, what if that was ME? Could I kill someone?" I also enjoyed Peeta more than I thought I would. Lots of people have commented to me that he was whiny or weak but I didn't find that at all. I felt like he was just very accepting of his fate and treated everything very Zen-like (it is what it is). I can understand how some people would read that as weak-willed or even whiny, but I didn't have a problem with him at all.

The concept of the Games is an old one (Battle Royale, Running Man, etc.), but I thought this was a fun interpretation and I really enjoyed the stark contrast of the "new" and "old" in this future (where Katniss is from Appalachia and her father was a coal miner, but in the Capitol everything is so extremely high-tech). Some of the concepts behind not just the Games but the vision of this future were very smart and I look forward to the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.