Eva's Reviews > The Cases That Haunt Us

The Cases That Haunt Us by John E. Douglas

Apr 11, 12

True crime books are like crack cocaine for me, and this one was no different. I read it fairly compulsively over three days, and was generally satisfied at the end. I felt like his treatment of the Jack the Ripper case was really thorough and illuminating, as were his chapters on the Lindbergh kidnapping and Lizzie Borden. Things started to fall apart for me after that, with a lot of the material feeling like filler to bridge to his chapter on the Ramsey case, which is obviously a personal passion for him. While I agree with the conclusions he draws about that case, that chapter in particular seemed much less objective, as he responded to personal attacks against him by the media & other profilers, and was obviously very emotionally invested in the Ramsey parents' innocence. Which doesn't mean that they aren't innocent- I believe him that the crime scene does not lead to that conclusion- but just that I felt like he could have kept a bit more personal distance in the discussion. Whatever, generally a minor complaint in a book that, for the true crime genre, manages to rise above cheap thrills and offer some intellectual meat at times.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cases That Haunt Us.