Darlene's Reviews > The Girl of Dracula

The Girl of Dracula by Dorina Stanciu

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: vampires, kindle-books-i-own, kindle, lending-enabled, booklending, text-to-speech-enabled
Read from April 14 to 19, 2012

Recommended by Jessica Chambers. Probably won't read, vampires not my cup of tea, but yvensong might like to read it.
***
The author sent an message to me indicating that this isn't another vampire story. Dorina Stanciu said, "The title sends the wrong message. The hero is a history professor who writes a book about Dracula(Vlad the Impaler)and, for that, his students call him "Dracula". It's a May-December love story with the man older than the girl.It is, in fact, a light fresco of Romania after the fall of the communism.It contains only a bit of occult."

SO, I went ahead and started reading. It is an interesting story. I think the witch is great! But I must read on.

***

Now finished.

I am not into vampires, but, also, I don't love romances. I have no problem with the romance being the secondary plot nor do I have a problem with adult May/December love story. I don't like reading about females who are weak. This book seems to be from the male's point of view.

I don't mind books of fantasy, use of magick. But this didn't seem to be that kind of story.

This story didn't grab me. I wanted it to. I worked very hard at it, re-reading full chapters to understand what was happening. I think it was the poor word choices, uses of quotations for thought processes, poor word order. In other words, it could have used a much better editing. Even as I finished the book I see plot bunnies I didn't know existed.

I liked the characters enough. I hoped for their best outcome. But somehow, not enough to have read the book twice.

I would love to see conversation regarding Vlad and the Dracula history. My husband has researched this subject much more than I have. I know there is a great controversy about whether or not the Count was hero or subhuman. I don't know enough to say. A person who has done a bit of research might like this much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl of Dracula.

04/14/2012
3.0% "Slow start for me but interesting enough to continue."
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.H. (new)

L.H. Thomson Hmmm, interesting setup anyway Darlene.

Darlene I hear that The Girl of Dracula is on sale at Amazon today.