bananananas's Reviews > Rosemary and Rue

F 50x66
Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read on April 11, 2012

Good start to what looks to be a promising series. This book definitely had the best prologue I've read in a long time. But the author doesn't take the story in the direction I thought it was going to go.

Toby Daye gets turned into a fish while out trying to find out what happened to the wife and daughter of her liege lord, who were mysteriously kidnapped. She remains a fish for 14 years and when she finally breaks the spell, she winds up becoming an aimless, goalless, depressed cashier at a local Safeway.

From the prologue, she struck me as a strong and tough woman. But as the book moves along, you realize that she's pretty much given up on life. And after the second mystery is solved, the one that pulls her back into her old world, I got the feeling that that hasn't changed.

I was hoping that the first mystery would be solved, that she would somehow reunite with at least her daughter if not her fiance, and that she would get out of the funk she was in. I'm guessing that all of that is going to be part of the overall story and won't be resolved yet, so I'm giving this 3 stars in anticipation of where the author will take the story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosemary and Rue.