Kristy's Reviews > Ashen Winter

Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin

Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: dystopian
Read in August, 2012

Well, I hate to say this, but one word pretty much sums up my feelings about this one: dissapointed.
I loved Ashfall, so I was uber excited to read this one. Boo.

What's my problem you ask?

Well,for starters, the beginning felt like a repeat of the first book. I had a hard time getting invested and keeping my interest.

My next issue was the lack of Darla in my life. She is one of my favorite little book spit-fire's and her absence was not appreciated. You hear that Mullin!??!?!?!?

By the time I got to the end of the book I was just ready for it to be over with. I lost my "care" for Alex and Darla. There magic felt gone (I know the whole world has fallen to shit, but in book 1 they still had that spark.)

Spoiling and further ramblin ahead: this is a whiney review, I know...

My next issue is Alyssa. Fine if you want her to be a character, but why does she have to come-on to Alex? Why does he need that temptation? What crap is she going to stir up in the next book? What's her importance, other than taking care of Ben?

Next: Why in the heck does Darla not talk some sense into Alex about finding his parents???? I get it to a point, I'd want my parents too, but there was no definite answers about them. It was such a risky, dangerous long-shot. They really shouldn't have gone. Survival 101. I don't know how either of them are still alive.

Ugh. I'm sure there is more, but I pretty much just want to forget about this book and go back to the days where I thought Mike Mullin was awesome and Ashfall was amazing. I hate being underwhelmed. Why do #2 books seem to always suck monkey butt?!?!?!?!?!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I remembered to pack my angry eyebrows!

3 (generous) stars.... probably closer to a 2.5

Sidenote: I really have to thank my fantastic friend Rachel for sharing with me. I am a spoiled and lucky little lady to have such amazing booker friends!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashen Winter.

07/25/2012 page 122
21.0% "Ahhhhh, this book is making me tense... in a good way...."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara Oh my goodness I am so jealous!!! Can't wait to see what you think;)

Kristy AHHHH!!!!! I wish I had time to just devour it in one day!!

oliviasbooks Oh, what you've said resembled a lot what I am secretly fearing after the 6% I've read (the uselessness of the endeavor, the repetition, the absence of Darla). I am kind of stuck and do not dare to go on. Because, like you said, you cannot unread a book, and I loved-loved Ashfall.

Kristy While, I hate what you are feeling, I'm glad I'm not alone.... I loved Ashfall too and I really don't know what Mullin was thinking with this one!?!?!?!?

But, there are several high ratings already out there, so maybe things might brighten up for you :)